How can I sue the driver responsible for death of a family member?

Related Ads


How can I sue the driver responsible for death of a family member?


When a car accident leads to the death of your family member, it is natural to be devastated. It is also natural to want to get compensation for your loss from the person who caused the accident that led to the death. Fortunately, the law allows you to sue the person who caused a car accident that killed your family member through filing a wrongful death action.

To file wrongful death lawsuits in car accidents:

  • You must be able to prove that the other driver was at fault for the accident, or that he caused it through his negligence
  • You need to be able to show that the accident led to the death
  • You need to have standing to sue (aka the familial relationship must be a close one. Typically, in every state, spouses can sue as can parents of minor children. Parents of grown kids, children and siblings can only sue in a limited number of states)

Provided you feel you meet the qualifications to bring a wrongful death lawsuit, you will want to contact an experienced car accident attorney as soon as possible. Your lawyer can help you to take the legal steps necessary to file a lawsuit against the person who caused the death of your loved one.