Car Insurance Policies in California Accident Claims

Related Ads

In California, all vehicles on the road are required to have liability insurance in case of a car accident. As most residents have their own cars, insurance companies are required by law to report private-use vehicles’ insurance information to the Department of Motor Vehicles so that the agency can remove uninsured vehicles from the highways.

While liability insurance is legally mandated, this may also be beneficial for the drivers and car owners themselves. Although only the minimum liability insurance is required, this would help compensate other motorists or persons other than the policy holder for any personal injury or property damage sustained in a motor vehicle accident.

Here are other insurance policies to consider if you want to make sure your personal finances are protected or kept secure even after an accident:

Personal Injury Protection Coverage

This provides compensation for medical bills, hospital, and funeral expenses or the insured and other people covered in this policy in the event a car crash occurs, regardless of whose fault the accident is.

The policy may cover the following people: the policyholder himself, his relatives in the same household, his passengers (at the time of the accident), other authorized drivers, or even the policyholder or his family members even if they were riding in another vehicle.

Collision Coverage

It covers any damage to the policyholder’s car when it is involved in any manner of vehicle collision or even if the vehicle hits a stationary object. It provides compensation for the repair of the vehicle less the deductible chosen by the car owner.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UM)

There are two types under this coverage: the Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury and the Uninsured Property Damage. This basically provides compensation for any bodily/personal injuries, death, or property damage caused by an at-fault uninsured or hit-and-run driver.

Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UNDUM)

Compared to the former, while this may also cover injuries, damages, or death caused by a negligent party, this will pay the difference between what the other driver’s insurance covers and what your coverage will pay.

If you or a loved one was involved in a car accident and you are having trouble obtaining compensation in your insurance company because of bad faith practices or you are underinsured, contact an expert personal injury lawyer who can help facilitate your claim for damages.