What damages are available if I was injured by a drunk driver?

Related Ads

If you have been injured by a drunk driver, you can seek damages for bodily injury and for any property damage you may have suffered in the accident.

Dealing with Insurance Companies

The drunk driver will be charged under the DUI laws of the state. However, you probably will not receive any compensation from this case. You must file a separate claim against the drunk driver and his or her insurance company. Generally the insurance company will pay you, but sometimes the insurance company will refuse to pay, citing some technical reasons. Don’t lose out on the compensation you are due under the law. Let an experienced attorney negotiate with the insurance company of your behalf.

Types of Damages

You will be entitled to compensation for the medical expenses you have incurred for your injuries. If you have suffered any disabilities or are unable to work, you will also be entitled to compensation for loss of earnings. You can often claim damages for pain and suffering due to the injuries.

If the insurance company rejects your claim, you will have to file a lawsuit seeking compensation. You must provide evidence of the medical expenses and loss of earnings. You must prove the drunk driver’s negligence was the cause of the accident. The drunk driver and insurance company will contest your claim. It is therefore important that you hire an experienced attorney to fight for your claim.